Monday, August 27, 2012

Best goal is no goal and GMM/GMFM projects.



As our dear Leo Babauta blog - the best goal is no goal

I suspect my contant procrastination to do anything about my GMFM or GMM project till I have to is really because I have got no real passion fr it. 

As Leo writes,
"I know I lived with goals for many years, and in fact a big part of my writings here on Zen Habits are about how to set and achieve goals.

These days, however, I live without goals, for the most part. It’s absolutely liberating, and contrary to what you might have been taught, it absolutely doesn’t mean you stop achieving things."


Well, that's true for me at least. At these days when I sabai and don't work, I am most of the time creating and producing stuff - ICCS, book reviews etc. 



As Leo continues,

"The problem with goals
In the past, I’d set a goal or three for the year, and then sub-goals for each month. Then I’d figure out what action steps to take each week and each day, and try to focus my day on those steps.

Unfortunately, it never, ever works out this neatly. You all know this. You know you need to work on an action step, and you try to keep the end goal in mind to motivate yourself. But this action step might be something you dread, and so you procrastinate. You do other work, or you check email or Facebook, or you goof off.

Here’s why: you are extremely limited in your actions. When you don’t feel like doing something, you have to force yourself to do it. Your path is chosen, so you don’t have room to explore new territory. You have to follow the plan, even when you’re passionate about something else.

What do you do, then? Lay around on the couch all day, sleeping and watching TV and eating Ho-Hos? No, you simply do. You find something you’re passionate about, and do it. Just because you don’t have goals doesn’t mean you do nothing — you can create, you can produce, you can follow your passion.

In the end, I usually end up achieving more than if I had goals, because I’m always doing something I’m excited about. But whether I achieve or not isn’t the point at all: all that matters is that I’m doing what I love, always."

As it is, intrinsic motivation rules non factory production work (TED Talk) , must really try my best to do the only the tasks that I am passionated about. GMM/GMFM was a choice that I made cause I felt that I really should get to know these better. I dislike the projects, but I do enjoy very much some of the technical stuff that I learnt, cause that was really what I went to pick up on. 

Given my recent philosophy escapades, I do agree there is no posterity to remember what has been accomplished and hence what can be better than "I'm doing what I love, always."


Cheers!

No comments:

No dancing girls on top

You Live only Once