Sunday, March 10, 2013

Glad to remove emailing lists

It is true, after unsubscribing from many emailing lists and good to know stuff from the internet.  I do find that suddenly I have  empty time during weekend.  

Yet, unlike others, I don't think I can ever get into the mood of just letting the weekend pass.   After so long in my life, just not entirely open to the idea of just enjoying the weekend. It is like :


“If you only had 48 hours left to live, would you spend it like you normally spend your weekends? If not, why spend 2/7th of your life wasting your free time? After all, free time isn’t free. Free time is the most expensive time you have, because nobody pays for it but you. But that also makes it the most valuable time you have, as you alone stand to reap the profits from spending it wisely.” Jarod Kintz, I Should Have Renamed This  


In fact, I have gotten a little cranky - I felt like clearing some work.  There just seems to be nothing to look forward to when I am free. Play can't be too enjoyable and yet it seems ridiculous to work even more. 

“Most people spend their lives going from work they dislike, but feel obliged to do so, to PASSIVE leisure activities that offer no stimulation.  As a result, life passes in a sequence of boring and anxious experiences or which one has got no control.” - Dr Csikszentmihalyi

That is perhaps what I am trying to avoid by not just playing the weekend away - passive leisure activities. 

Yingxuan's private project of lyrics writing is like Winston Churchill's oil painting - still a form a leisure. Mine? Not starting a food waste movement or writing summaries of books considered as leisure? 

The one thing that perhaps I can be certain off is really that I only live once, and I don't want to be watching TV or reading about things happening. I want to try it myself!

Sadly I am also no longer the type who arrange to meet just for fun with friends.  I like to meet over an activity.  Although I like to make an effort to meet friends when I am nearby.

No comments:

No dancing girls on top

You Live only Once