Thursday, May 08, 2014

Success or failure in life?

Recently, I was one of those irresponsible management that messed up a workers life. We just changed a waste contract with about 1.5 months notice and yup, for the worker who stays near his workplace - he will have to renegotiate his rent etc all in a month's notice.

We should stay have a change in contract but there is a repercussion down the line, and we should do it with 3 months notice.

Reading Springboard, I was thinking - am I a success or failure life? I have not actually succeeded in life in many areas - not the corporate ladder which my secondary school mates have gone on to, not a family. 

In terms of failure, the only sore thing is the university grades - bit that I still fought back to keep climbing in grades after the first semester.   The other failure would then be the food waste project. Done quite a bit on it but didn't go on to step 2 of spreading and garnering support.

The costal cleanup corporate and Cal Newport post enlightens me that it is not enough to be excited but one must think of the circumstances and consequences, and then still decide if you want to do it. 

I will remember with fondness that night that I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about the crowd source "An Inconvenient Truth". 

My own inconvenient truth is I may have identified the passion and interest, but I do allow some personal fears to hold me back. Like I analyzed before, as part of an organization, I have succeeded. Working with someone like for corporate coastal cleanup, I will do it also.

Starting out alone? I have not. 

Another key thing I learnt is to work on the "adjacent" - don't go starting out on ideas that I remotely don't have the skills for. 


At the end of the day, I know I will be rather happy actually, to just focus on a few projects that is meaningful for the environment, making use of the public speaking skills and observation powers. 

No comments:

No dancing girls on top

You Live only Once